25 - student - NYC That's all for now.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

I Have the Powerrrr!!!!

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but then again it's listed in the title bar. So no worries there. But does anyone else remember this guy?




I was obsessed with He-Man when I was a child. In fact, according to a family chestnut that my mom is fond of telling me, I made that clear at a young age. Apparently, one day I went to a car show with my parents down at the convention center in DC when I was around four or five. While there, I managed to get my hands on an ice scraper which I then proceeded to stick down the back of my shirt with the handle poking out the top. Then, in a completely perplexing move to my parents (who had never seen the show), I yanked the scraper out from behind my back and proclaimed that I, indeed, had the power. Apparently I did this many, many times for the next few hours, raising a few eyebrows and convincing my parents that I might be insane. Not until later when they had seen the show did they understand what exactly was happening.

But I was just thinking - what a marketing coup, huh? I mean, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was an action-figure line created by Mattell. The cartoon began as a few adspots and grew from there. I only learned this years later. But I think that with the growing commercialization of the world, this sort of thing is going to happen more and more. Everything is connected.

By the way, does anyone else remember the campy movie they made? "Masters of the Universe." Featuring Dolph Lundgren (of Rocky IV - Ivan Drago fame) and Courtney Cox, among others. I remember loving that movie when I first saw it. I bet it isn't as good as I remember.


1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Chirlin said...

I had the same experience when watching "The Ewok Adventure" again while babysitting my neighbor's kids. I hadn't seen it in 10 years. Apparently when I was 6, it didn't bother me that the entire movie was filmed in ewok language. Watching it again at 16 I couldn't even follow the plot - apparently I had lost my ability to understand ewok in the intervening years.

3:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home